Skip to main content

First 100 mile sportive!

The more time I spend on my road bike, the more I love it! That also means the more effort I have to put in to balance all my bikes out. It can be very tempting to plan activities for one bike and completely forget the others. I've been nudging my way closer to a 100 miler each year, last year I managed a 70 odd miler and even an 80 miler but I was having some real niggles at the time and the 80 mile ride was excruciating. I've now had a bike-fit done and I'm a lot more comfortable on the bike, to the point where I'm completely pain free and the miles simple trickle past in happiness. My fitness this year has been better than ever across all my bikes so I decided it was time to finally break my 100 mile cherry and why not do it in style and enter a sportive in the meantime! I wasn't feeling confident enough to do it alone so again it was Buly to the rescue and he agreed to ride the sportive with me.

I'd been recommended the Tour of the Black Country and despite it being a cyclocross we signed up with myself on my trusty Trek and Buly on an orange CX bike. I fully expected him to be strong on the off road sections and for me to then catch up on the road. The plan with doing it together was that we could share the supplies out so I carried the puncture repair kit and he carried the pump etc. He's been doing a fair amount of turbo'ing and riding in general so I figured out of my riding friends, he would be the most suitable!

A sportive isn't competitive, you can start anytime within a set period which takes the stress and worry off arrival time and not getting too caught up in a starting sprint! The route was on mostly quiet roads with some busy sections and plenty of bridleways thrown in as well to keep you on your toes. The weather was fantastic on the day which was a blessing but did present the problem of the bridleways being extremely dusty and akin to riding on marbles. I found the 100 miles surprisingly easy going despite keeping a constant eye on the miles ticking by. The only thing I regret was not taking headphones as I didn't end up seeing Buly much at all so the miles got a little lonely despite everyone being really friendly. As friendly as everyone was, when you have to wait for your friend to catch up every ten miles it's pointless getting too friendly as in about ten minutes they're going to sail into the distance. I managed to keep pushing throughout the 100 miles and could of easily carried on going, in fact the last 5km segment on strava I got the QOM!

There was a real sense of achievement in crossing the finish line, I even shed a few tears and the only thing I regret was not crossing the line with Buly. Time was really slipping away, I wasn't sure he'd even make the track finish so I decided to push on as much as possible to ensure I made it. I couldn't believe it when I looked down and realised my mileage was at approximately 99 miles! The beauty of Tour of the Black Country, however, is that it's a track finish so if the miles aren't quite right you can just keep circling!

I'd definitely recommend a sportive as someones first step on to organised cycling. Everyone was really friendly and the signposting and feed stations really take the hassle out of long distance cycling!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review : Fox Launch Enduro Knee Pads

A month ago, having struggled with the tight sizing on some POC knee pads for 6 months, I decided enough was enough and sold on my current knee pads and decided to replace them. My only requirement was for a pad I could wear everywhere, not just at BPW and uplift days but during my regular 8 mile route around the local forest. This meant the pads had to be comfy and breathable, easy to chuck in the car and shove on my legs, not overkill for pedalling and easy enough to look after. I ride 3 days a week minimum in all conditions and the pads have to be able to keep up, if they fall apart after five mins they're no good to me! I tried out a few different pairs and even tried on the 2014 POC knee pads, typically they've changed the sizing and the mediums now fit me perfectly. At £90-£100 for the POC I couldn't justify the same spend again, especially when I knew I didn't wear them all the time because of their bulk, its no good slipping into the mentality of 'I'm

Woman in the mirror, Crash aftermath!

Well it finally happened! While sitting trying to eat my tea I decided tonight was the night, mostly for my own benefit than other peoples, I decided I would get a few things off my chest. Maybe its true what some people say that once you write down (or in my case type) what you're thinking and whats bugging you that it gets better. Two years ago in April the inevitable happened and I fell off my bike, as I always say if you never fall off you're just not going fast enough or trying hard enough . Obviously I've fallen off before, this wasn't my first foray into scabs and scars, my legs are continually littered with them and its just something I've come to terms with, at the end of the day I can always wear trousers! It was a normal run of the mill day, my usual loop at about 3pm on a weekday the perfect time to ride the wyre, just Ziva and I against the world. Got to one of the fastest sections, I've clocked as high as 30mph using a bike computer, the fore

Another trip to the biking Mecca of Scotland!

So I have to admit I have a soft spot for Scotland, I used to go every year as a child to varying places throughout Scotland and I'm currently applying for some jobs in Scotland so I can make the move permanent, I'd love to become a bike mechanic and based out of Scotland but that doesn't make enough money to sustain myself and Ziva. I've been biking to Scotland many times but its been a year or two now since my last visit so it was time to visit some new places as well as some already fond places! I booked a cottage staying in Errogie on the south side of Loch Ness, just outside of Inverness so it's still good for fuel and food etc. but outside of the city so a lot quieter, no neighbours for about half a mile just the way I like it! There were only the three of us staying, all bikers but they joined me as the week went on so not all three came to all the locations, at times it was just Ziva and myself! 1. Whinlatter - okay so its not technically Scotland but when