Skip to main content

Fabric cageless water bottle review

Let me first say that the fabric cageless water bottle on test here is the 750ml version, so my opinion is purely based on the performance of that particular bottle. I have some reservations that perhaps if I was reviewing the 600ml version my findings would be slightly different, however, as always I can only report on what I've found!

Picture the scene, you're 14 miles into your ride and you've just reached the end of a techy downhill/traversing section and you reach down for a much needed drink and..... no bottle. At some point in the last 3 or 4 miles my water bottle has yet again fallen off! Last time this happened I ended up riding back up the downhills to retrace my wheels and it was a 3 mile detour back up hill but on this occasion it's not possible. This was the situation I was faced with on Sunday during my 29 mile MTB ride. I ended up using a fireroad to trace my wheels back up the section I'd just ridden but no joy. I then ended up meeting up with a friend and together we had to use another fireroad to retrace even more. Luckily he spotted the water bottle and I was reunited!

Through trial and error I've discovered that the only way to reliably keep the bottle in place when riding proper trails is to have the bottle about 3/4 full which frankly defeats the purpose. I've tried adjusting the plastic washer bolts that keep the bottle in place but this seems to make no difference. The general weight of the bottle when its full just seems too much for the mounting system to cope with. On my XC style commute home on the bike this isn't a problem as I never carry a full bottle, its not that strenuous, and the conditions of the trails are fairly mellow so the bottle stays in place fairly firmly. Having said that it defeats the purpose again to have a water bottle that only works 3/4 of the time especially when frankly its not that challenging or intricate an item!

Pros: Easy to get on and off while on the move, looks smooth and fuss free, comes in a selection of colours to match your bike.

Cons: The flow of fluid isn't as good as the camelbak bottles. It probably fell off 10 minutes ago!

In a nutshell if you want a water bottle which has style over function. A water bottle which when you need a drink you discover is actually 3 miles away. Or a water bottle which can been beaten by a lot of other water bottles, get the fabric cageless bottle. Alternatively if you want to learn from my mistake and not have one sitting useless at the back of a cupboard, just stick with the perfectly fine and functioning system that you already have!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review : Fox Launch Enduro Knee Pads

A month ago, having struggled with the tight sizing on some POC knee pads for 6 months, I decided enough was enough and sold on my current knee pads and decided to replace them. My only requirement was for a pad I could wear everywhere, not just at BPW and uplift days but during my regular 8 mile route around the local forest. This meant the pads had to be comfy and breathable, easy to chuck in the car and shove on my legs, not overkill for pedalling and easy enough to look after. I ride 3 days a week minimum in all conditions and the pads have to be able to keep up, if they fall apart after five mins they're no good to me! I tried out a few different pairs and even tried on the 2014 POC knee pads, typically they've changed the sizing and the mediums now fit me perfectly. At £90-£100 for the POC I couldn't justify the same spend again, especially when I knew I didn't wear them all the time because of their bulk, its no good slipping into the mentality of 'I'm

Woman in the mirror, Crash aftermath!

Well it finally happened! While sitting trying to eat my tea I decided tonight was the night, mostly for my own benefit than other peoples, I decided I would get a few things off my chest. Maybe its true what some people say that once you write down (or in my case type) what you're thinking and whats bugging you that it gets better. Two years ago in April the inevitable happened and I fell off my bike, as I always say if you never fall off you're just not going fast enough or trying hard enough . Obviously I've fallen off before, this wasn't my first foray into scabs and scars, my legs are continually littered with them and its just something I've come to terms with, at the end of the day I can always wear trousers! It was a normal run of the mill day, my usual loop at about 3pm on a weekday the perfect time to ride the wyre, just Ziva and I against the world. Got to one of the fastest sections, I've clocked as high as 30mph using a bike computer, the fore

Another trip to the biking Mecca of Scotland!

So I have to admit I have a soft spot for Scotland, I used to go every year as a child to varying places throughout Scotland and I'm currently applying for some jobs in Scotland so I can make the move permanent, I'd love to become a bike mechanic and based out of Scotland but that doesn't make enough money to sustain myself and Ziva. I've been biking to Scotland many times but its been a year or two now since my last visit so it was time to visit some new places as well as some already fond places! I booked a cottage staying in Errogie on the south side of Loch Ness, just outside of Inverness so it's still good for fuel and food etc. but outside of the city so a lot quieter, no neighbours for about half a mile just the way I like it! There were only the three of us staying, all bikers but they joined me as the week went on so not all three came to all the locations, at times it was just Ziva and myself! 1. Whinlatter - okay so its not technically Scotland but when