Skip to main content

Review : Raceface Atlas pedals

I'll be the first to say I definitely err on the side of being a weight weenie. Anything I buy for the Bronson I check out the weight of and if it's a new part that I dont have a preference for, weight is a huge consideration. I know I could save weight by going for Shimano brakes over Hope but frankly I dont care, hope win it every time for me but when it comes to pedals I don't have a 'go to'. I've always highly rated the grip on DMR vaults and my nukeproof pedals have work faultlessly despite not really servicing them very often. When I built up my hardtail I decided I'd put the nukeproof pedals on to it and get something a bit flashier and maybe lighter for the Bronson. After destroying the axle on the superstar pedals I have been put off titanium axles so instead opted for something as lightweight as possible but still handle the battering I give parts and maybe something a bit slick looking. In step the Raceface Atlas, not cheap at £109 but not too bad compared to the other Vault magnesium pedals I'd been scoping out. 

Now lets discuss the most important things about pedals.

Grip - the grip on these I would say are very good, not quite DMR level but definitely up there as a contender for good grip.

Looks - really nice looking and even when they've taken a few knocks they still hold their anodising well and look smart. They're nice and slender pedals so benefit you by not getting in the way too much.

Serviceability - unfortunately for me this is when they started to fall down, you're given a small hole with which to insert grease, you can NOT pressurise grease into a tiny hole like that without some sort of injection device, like the grease ports on the links of Santa Cruz bikes. In my opinion they shouldnt of even mentioned it or even put it there because its next to useless as you'll have literally no choice but to strip them down even more and its not an easy procedure. Any tiny amount you do manage to get inside the pedals will be so insignificant that its hardly worth doing.

Weight - not to be sniffed at approx 360g for both pedals neither too heavy nor too light which you would think imply they'll be up to taking a knocking.

Overal thoughts based on it being a pedal - Useless, I'm not going to sugar coat it or beat around the bush but after 6 rides both pedals were ruined. The pedals would barely spin, in fact if you left the bike for two days you would have to force the pedals to spin and then when they did spin they ground around. I personally do NOT expect to regrease pedals after only 6 rides so i contacted the online shop in question who said that due to the fast wear nature they would pay for the expense of bearings but to get a local shop to inspect the pedals to check for faults. My local shop inspected and replaced the bearings and reported that both pedals already had bent axles. Not only do I not expected to replace bearings after 6 rides, i certainly don't expect bent axles after so few rides. Not when I'm under 10 stone!! Personally I'm of the belief that due to the thin nature of the pedals and the fact that axles and bearings still need to fit within the pedals that the design just isn't up to scratch. The pedals went back to the online shop who in fairness refunded them fully and so yet again I'm back to swapping 1 pair of pedals between two bikes and just shopping for DMR vaults in magnesium!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review : Fox Launch Enduro Knee Pads

A month ago, having struggled with the tight sizing on some POC knee pads for 6 months, I decided enough was enough and sold on my current knee pads and decided to replace them. My only requirement was for a pad I could wear everywhere, not just at BPW and uplift days but during my regular 8 mile route around the local forest. This meant the pads had to be comfy and breathable, easy to chuck in the car and shove on my legs, not overkill for pedalling and easy enough to look after. I ride 3 days a week minimum in all conditions and the pads have to be able to keep up, if they fall apart after five mins they're no good to me! I tried out a few different pairs and even tried on the 2014 POC knee pads, typically they've changed the sizing and the mediums now fit me perfectly. At £90-£100 for the POC I couldn't justify the same spend again, especially when I knew I didn't wear them all the time because of their bulk, its no good slipping into the mentality of 'I'm

Woman in the mirror, Crash aftermath!

Well it finally happened! While sitting trying to eat my tea I decided tonight was the night, mostly for my own benefit than other peoples, I decided I would get a few things off my chest. Maybe its true what some people say that once you write down (or in my case type) what you're thinking and whats bugging you that it gets better. Two years ago in April the inevitable happened and I fell off my bike, as I always say if you never fall off you're just not going fast enough or trying hard enough . Obviously I've fallen off before, this wasn't my first foray into scabs and scars, my legs are continually littered with them and its just something I've come to terms with, at the end of the day I can always wear trousers! It was a normal run of the mill day, my usual loop at about 3pm on a weekday the perfect time to ride the wyre, just Ziva and I against the world. Got to one of the fastest sections, I've clocked as high as 30mph using a bike computer, the fore

Another trip to the biking Mecca of Scotland!

So I have to admit I have a soft spot for Scotland, I used to go every year as a child to varying places throughout Scotland and I'm currently applying for some jobs in Scotland so I can make the move permanent, I'd love to become a bike mechanic and based out of Scotland but that doesn't make enough money to sustain myself and Ziva. I've been biking to Scotland many times but its been a year or two now since my last visit so it was time to visit some new places as well as some already fond places! I booked a cottage staying in Errogie on the south side of Loch Ness, just outside of Inverness so it's still good for fuel and food etc. but outside of the city so a lot quieter, no neighbours for about half a mile just the way I like it! There were only the three of us staying, all bikers but they joined me as the week went on so not all three came to all the locations, at times it was just Ziva and myself! 1. Whinlatter - okay so its not technically Scotland but when